Johnny Bandura

Johnny Bandura

My name is Johnny Bandura. I am married with 3 children and a member of Qayqayt First Nation (New Westminister). To learn more about Qayqayt First Nation and our fight for recognition, see the NFB documentary by Eunhee Cha, Tribe of One.

I have been an artist and musician for most of my life.

My mother is a painter and my father is a musician(guitarist), creating art came naturally to me. I spent time in Kamloops BC and Hay River N.T. while I was growing up. I never enjoyed (or did well)in school except art and gym. When I was younger I pursued a career in music and travelled across Canada and into the U.S. I continued to work on art; still drawing and painting. After a few years on the road, I left and I took a job working in the mining industry to focus on family. Over the last 10 years while raising a family and working, I was still creating art in my (rare) spare time. But like many others, my life changed due to COVID-19.

Like so many others during the last year, my work closed, I struggled with financial issues, my mental health and family members have had significant health issues.

To deal with the intense stress of the past year, I tried to keep busy while at home waiting to return to work and financial stability. As I was beginning to feel grounded, the news broke, the bodies of 215 children were found at Kamloops Indian Residential School (KIRS).I had to do something to honour the 215 children found. I started painting not knowing what would come next. I painted 215 portraits. Learn more about the portraits here.